Sunday, June 14, 2009

Editing

So, you think writing is simple and what you just need are some creativity and a good story. How could I be so wrong? The complicated part, that now I am enjoying more, is editing. We can't write whatever comes to our mind! We need to select special words, strong nouns and verbs, to make an impact to the readers. Also, we have to analise the sequence of facts, read our story over and over again, until we get it right and are satisfied with the results.


RETHINK, REREAD, REWRITE

Since the beginning of the course, I knew that the final product, the final exam, would be to write a short story, not longer than 500 words. I had no idea what to write about, until I had Easter brunch with my best friends. One of them has a father with Alzheimer's and told us the recent episode that had happened to him. I don't know why, that scene got stuck on me, for a long time. After a few drafts, that is what I posted. (not the final product, though)



The situation is indeed getting unsustainable. Now he is wandering around the house without his pants on. Some sense needs to be brought to this man. Cute is when a child runs around the house trying to flee from an unwanted bath. However, when a 65 year old man exposes his business as if it needs to breathe… Not funny at all. I must act at this moment –What is going on with you? Don't you have shame? Why are you not wearing you pants? He looks at me as if with a question mark on his forehead and slowly goes to the closest bedroom, probably to check out why I am yelling at him. He looks for the mirror behind the door. Seeing his reflection, he fixes his few chunks of hair left, unbuttons down his shirt, and buttons it up again. Can't still define what is wrong. My impression is that he is embarrassed and still perplexed, but doesn't know why. Then, he opens his mouth to say: -It is a hot today, woman! Don't you see? Impatiently, I give him the pair that I have set so neatly on the bed an hour before. He grabs it from my hand, but motionless stares at me. I help him to get dressed thinking that he was there with me, but I loose him while I struggle to give him some dignity.


No comments:

Post a Comment